The food that we eat is directly proportional to our physical and mental health. Have you ever thought why you lost few pounds or gain few without no obvious reason? Why some days you feel more energetic and happy, while some days you just don’t feel like anything? Is it something to do with our food habits? Well, mostly YES! Your diet also decides whether you age rapidly or you age gracefully. It’s not the genes all the time. We can’t stop the time, neither the process of ageing, but we can surely be proactive in reducing the physical and mental effects of ageing. Certain food can help us to age slower, followed by a healthy lifestyle.
It’s not necessary that we fully understand our metabolic activity and digestive system, but knowing the basics can be helpful. Technically, all the food and juice that we intake, pass through the stomach, ultimately ending up in our small intestine. The job of our small intestine is to break down everything that we intake- food and juice, into its basic elements, including vitamins, minerals and nutrients. Our intestine then distributes these vitamins, minerals and nutrients ( from the food you intake) into our body cells, which provide nourishment to our body. Now, the same way when we eat junk, the small intestine breaks it down and delivers the extracted elements to our body cell. The elements which aren’t good for the nourishment of our body cells. As a result, we end up feeling unhealthy and detrimental.
Our choice of food decides how good or bad our metabolic activity could be.
For example, protein rich food boosts our metabolism as they are easy to break down. Whereas, refined carbs slow down the metabolic activity, as they take time to break down. Junk and fried food too slows down our metabolism, adding saturated fat into our body systems, which can cause weight gain and other health issues. In short, healthy food helps to keep our metabolism going. Whereas, junk food slows our metabolism. And, slower metabolic activity promotes AGEING.
Before we get to the five anti ageing foods that make us age slower, let us look over the foods to avoid at all costs! Remember: “Prevention is the best medicine.”
Foods to avoid- Foods that accelerate Ageing
- Deep Fried Food : anything that is deep-fried is bad for our health.
- Packaged Food: Anything which is not fresh is unhealthy.
- Processed and Refined Food : Mostly processed food is high in saturated fat and nitrates; both accelerate inflammation and therefore ageing.
- Excessive Sugar : Excess sugar intake is tied to the early development of wrinkles.
- Saturated and Fatty meat : They are also high in “sat fats,” fatty meats offer little in the way of nutritional value.
- Too much of Booze : Two drinks per day may be beneficial and help us to relax our body and mind. But, anything beyond an occasional couple of pegs aren’t good for our health and causes early ageing.
Now that we know what to avoid, let’s get into the foods that actually helps to slow down the process of Ageing.
Foods that make you age slower
- Beans and Lentils : Beans and lentils are full of fiber and protein and help to stabilise our blood sugar levels. Fiber helps us to feel fuller for a longer period , while protein helps to build muscle and burn fat by providing a steady dose of energy. Most importantly, beans are low on sugar scale. Both help to slow the ageing process.
- Carrots : Carrots are one of the best foods available and are a great source of beta carotene – antioxidants. They safeguard our cells from free radicals which are present in the environment. These free radicals promotes ageing and beta carotene protects our body cells from these free radicals. Carrots also contain the nutrient falcarinol, which has anti-cancer properties.
- Citrus Fruits : Citrus fruits contain vitamin C, which has antioxidant properties to fight against infections and inflammation. Citrus fruits also contains anti-aging flavonoids and carotenoids which backs off age-related cognitive decline, heart diseases and some types of cancers.
- Soy Products: Food derived from soybeans such as tofu and beans help to prevent cellular ageing. Soy products has a rich supply of isoflavones which have anti-cancer, anti-inflammatory, antimicrobial, and antioxidant properties. Tofu is also mineral-dense, containing calcium, copper, magnesium, manganese, phosphorous, and zinc.
- Fresh water Fish- Salmon : We all know the adverse affects of red meat. One good substitute for red meat is fresh water fish such as salmon. They are a good source of omega-3 fatty acids which wards off cognitive ageing. They are also loaded with potassium and other essential minerals which is good for our heart and regulates hormonal activity.
We’ve given you the list of food items that will help to age slower. Food is the ultimate factor that reflects into our health. It is rightly said – You’re what you eat. By inculcating healthy eating habits and avoiding foods that slows down metabolism would surely help us to age beautiful.
Eat right. Love yourself. Laugh louder. Age gracefully.